Sunday, March 27, 2011

Book #21


Austenland, by Shannon Hale. Unabridged audio.

Again, a book that I am not the target demographic for -- but this one was not offputting in the least. It was a pretty fun read, all in all. It helps to have read the Jane Austen novels (I have), and even to be a fan of them (I am), and to have seen the BBC adaptation with Colin Firth (I have), and to be madly in love with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy (I'm not).

Jane Hayes is a thirty-something single woman obsessed with Austen and Firth/Darcy, and feels that this obsession has negatively effected her dating life. In an odd turn of events, Jane is given a three-week vacation at a Williamsbug-like Jane Austen fantasy camp, complete with period clothing and balls, and actors playing Regency-era gentlemen.

Can Jane finally "move on" from her past and her obsessions to a healthy future? Or will she let herself fall for one of the men in Austenland? Or perhaps one of the actors?

The book moved quickly, and I found it a fun read. The ending chapters in particular were very strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment