Monday, April 4, 2011

Book #23


The Women of Marvel. Graphic novel.

Covering Marvel's first seventy years, this collection presents a range of stories featuring Marvel's leading ladies. Included are action stories from the forties, romances from the fifties, golden age and modern stories. Elektra, She-Hulk, Invisible Woman, Ms. Marvel, Storm, Mary Jane ... these are all featured. I would have liked a Scarlet Witch Avengers story, but I admit that's nitpicking.

I enjoyed Frank Miller's Elektra introduction, and well as MJ's first full appearance. But more, I appreciated having a volume that tracked the history of comics, changing art styles, changing narrative structures, story-telling techniques, etc ...

As we moved into the modern age, I admit I skimmed some of the stories, as they covered characters I was less interested in, and in one case presented part 1 of multi-part story, and I didn't want to get sucked into that storyline. But for the comic historian in me, I enjoyed this volume for what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment