Saturday, October 20, 2012

Books-in-Progress

I was looking at my Goodreads account recently, and noted that I had 7 books in the "currently reading" category. Since this seemed like a large number, I thought I'd list them here, and describe how each landed on the in-progress list.

First, the two books that are related to my duties as a co-host on the Book Guys podcast:

(1) Viper Pilot, by Dan Hampton. We are planning to interview the author in a few weeks, and the good people at HarperCollins sent all us hosts hardcover copies to read beforehand. I am almost finished with this one, and will knock it out in a few days. The author is a retired fighter pilot, and this is a memoir of his 20 years in the USAF.

(2) Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card. We had a very good discussion about Ender's Game, and we all decided to read this one, to discuss it at some point in the future. I am almost done (on disc 11 of 13 in the unabridged audio), and I think I will be the last of us hosts to finish it.

And onward to my non-podcast directed reading.

(3) Hell's Bay, by James W. Hall. I had just started this hardcover when Viper Pilot arrived, so I had ot put this one off. Will pick it up again by the end of the week.

(4) The Simon and Kirby Superheroes. A huge hardcover collection of non-DC and non-Marvel superhero comics from the olegendary team (and creators of Captain America) Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. I am reading this piecemeal, and writing retro-reviews on this site of groups of the stories. So this is intentiaonally a slow-go.

(5) The Gods of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. This is the e-book I am currently working on. I don't read a ton on my NookColor, but I always have one going, usually (like this one) downloaded from Project Gutenberg. As the holidays approach, and I spend more time in airports and planes, I will make progress on this one.

(6) Faith of the Fallen, by Terry Goodkind. I am listening to this one with my daughter, and we will pick it up again over Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. It's a long book, so it will stay on this list for a long time.

(7) Swords of the Six, by Scott Appleton. This one really shouldn't be here, because I have actually finished it. But I read it to review on the Spirit Blade podcast and blog, and I can't post the review here until it has been posted there. And since I link my Goodreads review to my blog post here, I won't take it off my currently-reading list until I post the review here, which is after the review appears on that podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment