Friday, December 9, 2011

Book #79

Naked Heat, by "Richard Castle." Unabridged audio.

Richard Castle is the character portrayed by Nathan Fillion on the ABC-TV drama "Castle." In the show, he is a writer of mysteries, and his books play a background role in the series. ABC has begun to release as actual books the novels referred to in the show. This is the second. It is weird to read, because I keep thinking of the characters' analogs from the TV show. But that is what I am supposed to do, now that I think about it.

This is a pretty good mystery story, kicked off by the murder of a gossip columnist being profiled by magazine writer Jameson Rook. The investigation uncovers the involvement of a young female pop star, a Yankees pitcher, limo drivers, paparazzi, etc ... Very good action, and some interesting points of character development. And although I do visualize the TV show versions of the characters, their characters are developing differently in the books, and that is a nice touch.

These books could be just throwaways, but they are not. They are better than average mystery plots, well-written, and worth an investment of time, especially for fans of the TV show.

I am curious as to the real writer of these books are, but I don't want to know enough to try to find out.

1 comment:

  1. I love the show but have not read any of the books because I thought they would be 'throw aways'

    ReplyDelete